Community maintenance is complete. Thank you for your patience!

ONTAP Discussions

7MTT transition multiple 7-Mode source to single SVM - Request For Enhancement

buim

I’m testing the 7MTT v3.2 in preparation for 7mode Filer migration/consolidation.  Got this error when trying to create a 7MTT project to consolidate two 7-Mode Filers into one SVM at the same time.

"The tool does not allow the simultaneous consolidation of volumes from different 7-Mode sources to an SVM."

This means I would need to finish the cutover for first 7-Mode Filer before I can start on the second 7-Mode Filer to the same SMV.

The workaround is to run another instance of 7MTT on a different server.  For each 7MTT instance, you can only migrate from one source 7-Mode Filer to one SVM destination.  If you need to migrate multiple source 7-Mode Filer to the same SVM destination, you need to run another 7MTT on different Windows/Linux server.

This will be a headache to consolidation multiple volumes from 7-Mode sources to a single SMV.  Especially, with an application data residing on multiple 7-Mode Filers.

Request For Enhancement:

7MTT can run mulitple 7-Mode source volumes to same destination SVM.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SeanHatfield

It has that capability already, it's not enabled by default because doing that introduces a number of additional planning  considerations.

For more information, see this kb:

https://kb.netapp.com/support/s/article/ka21A0000000fyfQAA/faq-7mtt-copy-based-transition-consolidation-of-volumes-from-multiple-7-mode-storage-system...

Another alternative is to transition in parallel to 2 SVMs, then use volume rehost to consolidate SVMs on the cluster.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

SeanHatfield

It has that capability already, it's not enabled by default because doing that introduces a number of additional planning  considerations.

For more information, see this kb:

https://kb.netapp.com/support/s/article/ka21A0000000fyfQAA/faq-7mtt-copy-based-transition-consolidation-of-volumes-from-multiple-7-mode-storage-system...

Another alternative is to transition in parallel to 2 SVMs, then use volume rehost to consolidate SVMs on the cluster.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

View solution in original post

PatrickR

Thanks Sean! This was a big help!

WillFulmer

Thank you @SeanHatfield - Much appreciated!

buim

Enabling parallel consolidation flag in the 7MTT conf file works great.  Exactly what I was looking for.  thanks.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public