ONTAP Discussions

ADP on FAS2620

storageman

New FAS2620 with Ontap 9.1 being installed and there are total of 36 x 4TB SATA drives which I would like to maximize storage capacity.  It seems like the internal drives were root-data partitioned already from factory.  My question I have is, when creating a new aggregate is it advisable to mix root-data partitioned disks with data-only drives and create one aggregate assign to one node (obvisouly this will create two different size of disk/partion raid group as data-only partion disks will have larger partition)? or root-data parition ALL of the drives and create one aggregate assign to one node?

2 REPLIES 2

Sahana
With ADP you can use all disks for root partitioning and a small portion of each disk is dedicated for root. Refer the document below: http://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.netapp.doc.dot-cm-concepts%2FGUID-B745CFA8-2C4C-47F1-A984-B95D3EBCAAB4.html
If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

aborzenkov
I do not think you can partition external shelves on this platform. Internal disks are partitioned by default. Mixing partitioned and non-partitioned drives in the same aggregate is supported. Usual considerations for non-uniform configurations apply - it complicates administration and troubleshooting. May be you could assign all data partitions to one node and all whole disks to another node?
Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public