ONTAP Discussions

ADP on FAS2620

storageman

New FAS2620 with Ontap 9.1 being installed and there are total of 36 x 4TB SATA drives which I would like to maximize storage capacity.  It seems like the internal drives were root-data partitioned already from factory.  My question I have is, when creating a new aggregate is it advisable to mix root-data partitioned disks with data-only drives and create one aggregate assign to one node (obvisouly this will create two different size of disk/partion raid group as data-only partion disks will have larger partition)? or root-data parition ALL of the drives and create one aggregate assign to one node?

2 REPLIES 2

Sahana
With ADP you can use all disks for root partitioning and a small portion of each disk is dedicated for root. Refer the document below: http://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.netapp.doc.dot-cm-concepts%2FGUID-B745CFA8-2C4C-47F1-A984-B95D3EBCAAB4.html
If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

aborzenkov
I do not think you can partition external shelves on this platform. Internal disks are partitioned by default. Mixing partitioned and non-partitioned drives in the same aggregate is supported. Usual considerations for non-uniform configurations apply - it complicates administration and troubleshooting. May be you could assign all data partitions to one node and all whole disks to another node?
Public