ONTAP Discussions

Add 4 additional disks to AFF-A220 controller with ADP

twigs

Hi.

I'm reading a few posts and documentation about ADP, how to add disks but in this case I don't know what is the procedure to expand the two existing aggregates with capacity of new 4 purchased disks.

The situation is, I have AFF-A220 with 200 900GB disks on the controller shelf, those disks are partitioned Root-Data1-Data2 and I have 2 aggregates.

I have 4 new 900GB disks to fully the controller and I want to expand the 2 aggregates capacity.

It is possible?, what's the commands or procedure to do this?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Fabian1993

Than assign the two other Disks to Node two. So once you add a spare to a RAID group that is partitioned via ADP2, the spare will be automatically partitioned and added to the aggregate. The other root and data partitions will be set as spares that you can use.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Fabian1993

If you can expand a existing Raidgroup, the System will automatically partion the entry Disk..

twigs

I have carried out this procedure and indeed I see that the aggr1 is extended with the space of half the disks but the aggr2 cannot because the owner of disks  is node1. What's the problem?

cl-aff220::> storage aggregate add-disks -aggregate aff220_1_data -diskcount 4 -simulate true

Disks would be added to aggregate "aff220_1_data" on node "aff220_1" in the following manner:

First Plex

RAID Group rg0, 4 disks (block checksum, raid_dp)
Usable Physical
Position Disk Type Size Size
---------- ------------------------- ---------- -------- --------
shared 1.0.19 SSD 415.8GB 415.8GB
shared 1.0.20 SSD 415.8GB 415.8GB
shared 1.0.21 SSD 415.8GB 415.8GB
shared 1.0.22 SSD 415.8GB 415.8GB

Aggregate capacity available for volume use would be increased by 1.46TB.

The following disks would be partitioned: 1.0.20, 1.0.21, 1.0.22.

cl-aff220::> storage aggregate add-disks -aggregate aff220_2_data -diskcount 4 -simulate true

Error: command failed: Failed to add disks to aggregate "aff220_2_data". Reason: Not enough spares on node aff220_2.

Thanks

Fabian1993

The new Disk are not partioned right ? Do you have assigned the Disk to one Node or half half? After you expand one aggr of the  System will partion the Disk and than you have two Data partions..

The Partion Ownership you could verify with set diag and disk partion show..

twigs

Fabian,

I only assign all 4 disks to node1.

And then as I have seen that with the command
storage aggregate add-disks are being added and appear to be partitioned. Of there is my doubt of the procedure to follow to add the disks correctly.

The disk partition show not showing the new disks.

Fabian1993

Than assign the two other Disks to Node two. So once you add a spare to a RAID group that is partitioned via ADP2, the spare will be automatically partitioned and added to the aggregate. The other root and data partitions will be set as spares that you can use.

Reverett

Hello,

For more information regarding how our ADP systems decide to autopartition a drive please see the below kb from our support site:

https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting%2FFlash_Storage%2FAFF_Series%2FWhy_is_a_newly_added_disk_not_auto-partitioned_on_HDD_and_AFF_ADP_syst...

Public