ONTAP Discussions

BGP intercluster LIF support

nitishchopra

We are upgrading a two node cluster to ONTAP 9.7. We want to configure intercluster lif's to use BGP. This two node cluster is a snapmirror destination at a service provider premises. The source cluster is at a customer site.

Does Intercluster lifs support BGP service-policies?

Ideally we want to build a snapmirror backup service with multiple Customers NetApp clusters are source backing up to Service Provider cluster with BGP routed IC lifs.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ontapforrum

Very good question. I learnt something new, i.e 'BGP' protocol :), had no clue about BGP protocol. Anyway, did some googling and checked some NetApp resources. I couldn't find any use cases for "BGP" protocol in Intercluster LIF usage. However, BGP LIFs are node specific, and so are intercluster LIFs so that's the only commonality I found.

Let me try and put some light, it may be worth raising a ticket to NetApp just to get a clear cut answer.

According to NetApp document: Failover is disabled for the BGP LIF (Automatic VIP). However, when it comes to IC LIF, mechanism is very simple and straight forward. It is a best practice to configure at least two intercluster ports per node, so that there is a port to which the intercluster LIF can fail over. This is for a reason that IC LIF cannot failover to different Node unlike 'Data' LIFs.

Considering this I believe, BGP is more suited to 'Data' protocol LIFs (Front-end). For intercluster communication , stick to standard IC LIF setup. I don't know if this makes sense but someone here will know for sure.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Ontapforrum

Very good question. I learnt something new, i.e 'BGP' protocol :), had no clue about BGP protocol. Anyway, did some googling and checked some NetApp resources. I couldn't find any use cases for "BGP" protocol in Intercluster LIF usage. However, BGP LIFs are node specific, and so are intercluster LIFs so that's the only commonality I found.

Let me try and put some light, it may be worth raising a ticket to NetApp just to get a clear cut answer.

According to NetApp document: Failover is disabled for the BGP LIF (Automatic VIP). However, when it comes to IC LIF, mechanism is very simple and straight forward. It is a best practice to configure at least two intercluster ports per node, so that there is a port to which the intercluster LIF can fail over. This is for a reason that IC LIF cannot failover to different Node unlike 'Data' LIFs.

Considering this I believe, BGP is more suited to 'Data' protocol LIFs (Front-end). For intercluster communication , stick to standard IC LIF setup. I don't know if this makes sense but someone here will know for sure.

View solution in original post

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public