ONTAP Discussions

Broadcast domain for the interface group

Northman

Hello,

I get this in the Active IQ health check for a FAS2720:

Risk:There is one or more broadcast-domains that contains a single port.
Potential Impact:A broadcast-domain with a single port will not allow LIFs configured in the broadcast-domain to failover properly in the event of a node/port failure.
Details:Broadcast-domains Default-1 and Default-2 only contain a single port.

These broadcast domains belong to the two interface groups for the two nodes (a0).

I notice these do not exist for our metrocluster clusters.

Can I just delete these broadcast domains, then?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Chandler

That's what we've done in the past, removed the ports from the BD and deleted the BD.  There is a bug in 9.13 however that will report the ports as "Administratively Down" in System Manager but they will actually be online.  To circumvent that issue we created a NodeA and NodeB BD and placed the ports in it which seems to act differently than the Default-X BDs....not sure why.  So you would be okay to remove your a0a from the BDs and leave them and just ignore the port status in System Manager or create 2 new BDs and place the ports in them.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Chandler

That's what we've done in the past, removed the ports from the BD and deleted the BD.  There is a bug in 9.13 however that will report the ports as "Administratively Down" in System Manager but they will actually be online.  To circumvent that issue we created a NodeA and NodeB BD and placed the ports in it which seems to act differently than the Default-X BDs....not sure why.  So you would be okay to remove your a0a from the BDs and leave them and just ignore the port status in System Manager or create 2 new BDs and place the ports in them.

Northman

Verified by Netapp support case

Public