ONTAP Discussions

CDOT == Vista ?

papadopoulosa

Am I the only one thinking that CDOT is NetApp's Vista (or Win8)?

I do see some good things about CDOT, but nothing is feature complete.  And the CLI interface is tab completion, lacks syntax documentation.

As for the movement, it still mostly disruptive, and can only be done on a volume by volume basis.

I would have thought that the movement should be at the volume level on the lowest echelon, but should apply to the vserver to make it really usable.  The lack of application group identification is also another feature which should have been there.  I should be able to group my volumes by vserver/app or app-group, and should be able to perform mass-moves as such.  What use is being able to move individual volumes around?

And in reality I see two tiers of storage these days, SSD, and SAS 2.5".  Both are ultra low power, faster than SATA, and I bet they are cheaper over the long run than the power hog 3.5" SATA's.  So there are really two tiers?   I'm just saying...

I just don't know that there is any real value in CDOT for the average user.

I think NetApp should have continued development of 7DOT, adding SMB 3, pNFS (soon), and the non-disruptive volume migration.  And they should have kept the 7DOT CLI.

Am  I off-base?

23 REPLIES 23

shane_bradley

I thought it was in there somewhere. Like i said i dont use system manager as much as a probably should. Its always a bad look when a customer asks how to do something in system manager and i look at them somewhat blankly.

aborzenkov

What is "mars" mentioned here several times? If I am allowed to ask

shane_bradley

Mars is the code name for the software for the new Flashray platform

Public