ONTAP Discussions

CN1610 Password Recovery?

scottgelb

I need to check the docs for this but thought I would post here in case someone ran into this yet.  A customer has CN1610 switches but we don't know what passwords were set.   Is there a password recovery procedure anyone can share?  I will check the docs and open a case if needed but communities is a quick place to get great answers

6 REPLIES 6

gchapman

I am in the same boat with a customer...  Did you ever find anything to recover the password, or a method to reset it? 

scottgelb

Never found out a way. Brute force is Rma both switches. Configure each and replace on at a time with cluster lif migrate and back. Not ideal but if no way to do it that works. Support might have a method if we need to Rma for this reason to fix onsite. Surely is a bootstrap interupt type fix so an outage per switch when we do get the hack. Or Rma to swap it out.

sethm

You can reset to the default configuration (valid cDOT initial configuration) and default passwords by breaking-out during a switch [re]boot:

FASTPATH Startup Rev: 6.3.1

Select startup mode.  If no selection is made within 5 seconds,

the FASTPATH Application will start automatically...

1 - Start FASTPATH Application

2 - Display Utility Menu

Select (1, 2): 2

FASTPATH Startup -- Utility Menu

1  - Start FASTPATH Application

2  - Erase Current Configuration

3  - Erase Permanent Storage

4  - Activate Backup Image

5  - Start Diagnostics Application

6  - Reboot

Q  - Quit from FASTPATH Startup

Select option (1-11 or Q): 2

Erasing present configuration...done.

FASTPATH Startup -- Utility Menu

1  - Start FASTPATH Application

2  - Erase Current Configuration

3  - Erase Permanent Storage

4  - Activate Backup Image

5  - Start Diagnostics Application

6  - Reboot

Q  - Quit from FASTPATH Startup

Select option (1-11 or Q): 6

Rebooting...

Cheers,

Seth

dankirkwood

Thanks, this worked for me, but I did find that the default configuration was *not* correct for cDOT - for example, jumbo frames were not enabled, nor was portfast. So after resetting the switch you do need to load up the correct reference config, which can be got from Downloads on the NetApp Support Site. Simply pasting it in for me worked, though there's also a method to load it from TFTP.

Also on my switch the reboot option was 7, not 6.

Thanks Seth. It's a pity this isn't in the switch documentation, though it is pretty straightforward to work it out by just plugging in a serial cable and power-cycling the switch.

SMLocke

I'm in much the same boat now, after "hardening" the passwords and suddenly being unable to log in to any of the eight switches (4x CN1601; 4x CN1610). I might have screwed something up, who knows, but now I need to get in there and clear/rebuild the configs, it seems. 

How disruptive is the process of clearing and rebuilding the configuration? Will it interrupt just the manageability of the filers, or will it disrupt serving storage altogether?

Someone on the thread mentioned being able to paste in the config over console ... that worked okay for you? Could you say more about that? Doing anything over TFTP ends up being a real hassle in our environment.

Thanks everyone! Sorry for the necromancy on an old thread.

walterr
Public