ONTAP Discussions

Cannot open file SMB Windows share from NetApp

Razzi

I am having an issue when I try to open a basic text file saved on a NetApp SMB server share, it throws the error "cannot open the \\netappvservername\sharename\folder\filename.txt" Make sure a disk is in the drive. I triple check NTFS permissions and so on.. I am able to access the SMB share, I can ping all NetApp interfaces... I am on ONTAP 9.1, what else can I try? Any suggestions is much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Razzi

@DarrenJ  the system is NTFS, working with NetApp support for 3 plus hours, he ended finding a disconnected in the Tiers to Azure Storage, it reads that cloud tier provider not accessible. It turns out the Azure storage config it was pointing to needs to be re-created. I submitted a ticket to Microsoft now to see if they can assist to get that fixed first.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

parisi

What happens when you try \\IPaddress as the path instead?

Razzi

@parisi  the same results.. I also tried to restart the SMB services on the v-server but did not help.

parisi

Are you able to access \\netappvservername\sharename?

\\netappvservername\sharename\folder?

Did you get a packet capture during the failure?

What do the following commands show?

::> event log show -messagename secd*

::> event log show -messagename cifs*

::> event log show -messagename smb*

Razzi

@parisi   Is werid, cause I am able to access the share, I can read the contents, I can see the files, I am able to write a simple Text file, but any files that were previously stored on the share, I get an error when I try to open it such as the once I mentioned before. Also, the NTFS permissions are not showing when I try to query/ enumerate them via a Windows host.. just weird behaviour.. I opened a ticket with NetApp support, but these guys are also not able so far to figure it out. 😞

parisi

Could be a security style issue or permissions issue.

TR-4887 has some useful commands to troubleshoot ACLs (for example, vserver security file-directory show on page 86):

https://www.netapp.com/pdf.html?item=/media/27436-tr-4887.pdf

DarrenJ

What's the security style of the volume? Who is the owner of the files that you cannot access? Below KB can help with troubleshooting these kinds of issues.

https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Software/ONTAP_OS/Troubleshooting_CIFS_or_SMB_access_denied

Razzi

@DarrenJ  the system is NTFS, working with NetApp support for 3 plus hours, he ended finding a disconnected in the Tiers to Azure Storage, it reads that cloud tier provider not accessible. It turns out the Azure storage config it was pointing to needs to be re-created. I submitted a ticket to Microsoft now to see if they can assist to get that fixed first.

Public