ONTAP Discussions

Changing to a new snapshot policy

optimus

I have a snapshot policy applied to one of my volumes. I created a new snapshot policy and I want to change the volume to use this one instead.

Do I simply edit the volume to use the new policy and that's all? Or do I need to do anything else, like delete the existing snapshots first so it starts clean? I feel like the existing snapshots may be associated with the existing policy and maybe they would not be expired/deleted since the existing policy is no longer applied.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

robverhoeven

Hi,

You already provide the answer. You can change the snapshot-policy on the volume but have to take in account that snapshots created by the previous policy are not aged off automatically anymore. You have to delete them manually. This does not necessary need to be done prior to changing the snapshot-policy.

Cheers,

Rob

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

robverhoeven

Hi,

You already provide the answer. You can change the snapshot-policy on the volume but have to take in account that snapshots created by the previous policy are not aged off automatically anymore. You have to delete them manually. This does not necessary need to be done prior to changing the snapshot-policy.

Cheers,

Rob

Public