ONTAP Discussions

Cluster Peer Unavailable - Data and ICMP Reachable

nicholsongc

Attempting to peer two clusters (Cluster #1 and Cluster #2) but cannot get past Availability = Unavailable

Cluster #1 is a six (6)-node cluster

Cluster #2 is a two (2)-node cluster

Tried peering with and without authentication - current peering has Authentication - OK

Both Data and ICMP Ping status are session_reachable and interface_reachable respectively on both sides of the peering

All ports involved/recognized have the same MTU (9000)

Cluster #1 is currently successfully peered and the source to a 3rd-party provider for DR (SnapMirror)

Cluster #1 displays both nodes for Cluster #2 for Remote Cluster Nodes - output of cluster peer show -instance

Cluster #2 only shows Cluster #1's node1 (of six) in for Remote Cluster Nodes - output of cluster peer show -instance

Cluster #2 DOES, however, show all six IP addresses for each node of Cluster #1 for Active IP Addresses - output of cluster peer show -instance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

nicholsongc

So the solution to my problem here was two-fold:

1. Existing Peer relationship between our production ClusterA and our DR provider's ClusterB was configured using ClusterA's DEFAULT IPSpace.  On the advice of NetApp support I created a separate (dedicated) IPSpace for ClusterA to talk to ClusterC.  This means I had to create a new/dedicated IPSpace as well and add a route.

2. MTU sizes.  My downfall here was that my Intercluster LIFs on ClusterA and associated Broadcast domain is set to 9000.  However, I confirmed with our DR provider that the ports/broadcast domain at their end is set to 1500.  So rather than heed all advice I've ever read/seen here I assumed that if mis-matched MTUs worked for the ClusterA-ClusterB peering it should work for ClusterA-ClusterC.  So I only changed ClusterC's broadcast domain and ports to run at MTU 1500.  NO GO.  When I changed my new broadcast domain on ClusterA and associated ports to 1500 the peering worked.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

nicholsongc

So the solution to my problem here was two-fold:

1. Existing Peer relationship between our production ClusterA and our DR provider's ClusterB was configured using ClusterA's DEFAULT IPSpace.  On the advice of NetApp support I created a separate (dedicated) IPSpace for ClusterA to talk to ClusterC.  This means I had to create a new/dedicated IPSpace as well and add a route.

2. MTU sizes.  My downfall here was that my Intercluster LIFs on ClusterA and associated Broadcast domain is set to 9000.  However, I confirmed with our DR provider that the ports/broadcast domain at their end is set to 1500.  So rather than heed all advice I've ever read/seen here I assumed that if mis-matched MTUs worked for the ClusterA-ClusterB peering it should work for ClusterA-ClusterC.  So I only changed ClusterC's broadcast domain and ports to run at MTU 1500.  NO GO.  When I changed my new broadcast domain on ClusterA and associated ports to 1500 the peering worked.

View solution in original post

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public