ONTAP Discussions

Complete Network Outage

trackstar

Hello,

We have been told to plan for a complete network outage for about one hour.  We are currently running FAS2650 with 2 nodes.  Version NetApp Release 9.3P18.

Do we need to shutdown the controllers and disk array?  Our virtual machines with the Active Directory roles will likely be shutdown.  I am reluctant to show down any hardware that has been running nice for many years

Please advise.

Thanks,

TT

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SpindleNinja

For that... I don't think you need to shut down totally.      All VMs need to be powered down (assuming they are using a network protocol (NFS or iSCSI)).   DataStores will show as disconnected.   
You'll probably see either warnings or errors related to the hwassit because the e0Ms won't be able to talk to each other.    

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

SpindleNinja

For that... I don't think you need to shut down totally.      All VMs need to be powered down (assuming they are using a network protocol (NFS or iSCSI)).   DataStores will show as disconnected.   
You'll probably see either warnings or errors related to the hwassit because the e0Ms won't be able to talk to each other.    

trackstar

Forgot to add an important item.  We don't serve the storage for VMs.  It is mainly for CIFS and just a few NFS mounts to Linux machines (these linux machines will be shutdown).    So would there won't be any authentication issue once the Active Directory services  are powered off and on while the NetApp device remains on?

SpindleNinja

You might just need to restart cifs once everything comes back up.  

Feel free to open a preemptive support case as well. 

EWILTS_SAS

I personally wouldn't worry about it - everything will come back nicely once the network comes back up.  CIFS access will likely be disrupted while AD is down but there's nothing you can do about it (if you're lucky, you'll have cached enough to serve some data).  It will come back once AD comes back.  I'd be surprised if you need to restart cifs when it comes back.

trackstar

Thanks for the input.

Public