ONTAP Discussions

Copying cifs share from one device to another 7-mode

ARnetapp

Netapp team

I've been assigned to migrate a few cifs shares from one device to another, what would be the best recommended way of doing this? I've tried using windows programs like richCopy and fastCopy ... Those haven't given me good results.

thanks in advance everyone
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SpindleNinja

As far a vfiler ownership?  I don't think you can just own a qtree to the vfiler, it would be at the volume level. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

SpindleNinja

7mode to 7mode?   is there any reason you can't use snapmirror? 

ARnetapp

@SpindleNinja I would like to use snapmirror but im unsure how to set it up from one vfiler to another.

yes 7-mode to 7-mode

SpindleNinja

Works about the same,   just ignore the context of a  vfiler in this case.   Create the relationship between the two filers and kick off the snapmirror.  The only differece is when you're ready to cut over to the destination side, you'll need to add ownership of the volume to the vfiler before you share it out.  

"vfiler add <vfiler_name> /vol/VOLUME1"

ARnetapp

@SpindleNinja ok Sounds good, So i don't have to copy the entire /vol/qtree? and i can specify the share.. such as/vol/qtree/netappShare

SpindleNinja

As far a vfiler ownership?  I don't think you can just own a qtree to the vfiler, it would be at the volume level. 

Public