ONTAP Discussions

Create Advance Disk partition on newly add disk

Infra-ADM

Hi,

My question is regarding Advance disk partition.

1) Can i create one root partition and 1 data partition on newly add disk and put this disk in  spare list of drive ?

2) When we replaced failed Disk enable with advance disk partition used in aggregate , should we create ADP partition on this drive first ? or it will create ADP automatically after the replacement with faulty drives?

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SpindleNinja

If you're growing an aggr it will repartition full disks to fill existing raid-groups. otherwise,  you'll need to create new raidgroups to grow the aggr with full disks.     If there's a failure and the only spare is a full disk. ONTAP will automatically partition a spare to replace the failed drive. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

SpindleNinja

If you're growing an aggr it will repartition full disks to fill existing raid-groups. otherwise,  you'll need to create new raidgroups to grow the aggr with full disks.     If there's a failure and the only spare is a full disk. ONTAP will automatically partition a spare to replace the failed drive. 

Infra-ADM

Thanks for sharing information, i understand ADP will be written on spare disk automatically.   Now i have another disk shelf  currently these drives are in unassigned state, now i am going to create new non ADP aggregate with these drives, My question here is if i leave one spare for this shelf which is off course non ADP drive, is there any way to restrict this spare drive which will be used for non ADP aggregate drive replacement during any failure.     

Public