ONTAP Discussions

Data Migration from vmdk to nfs

Jan_Renz

Hello Community,

what is the best way to transfer data from "local" vmdk's to in-guest NFS-mounts?

The data, that should be migrated, are SAP databases.

Are there other tools than rsync?

The target is to sync the data in parallel while the databases are online and to keep the offline window (to remount the NFS-filesystems) as small as possible.

BR
Jan

3 REPLIES 3

GidonMarcus

Hi.

I don't think there's a tool that allow you to do increment copy on DB files.

If the existing dataset is massive (and by that I mean hours of copy) the right approach is to use native tools like log shipping. Or to manually restore from a backup or a snapshot that is in a consistent state for the DB file(s). Then copy transaction logs (potentially can do increment if are large), take the DB down on one side, then running a redo log and bringing up the DB on the new path.

Gidi

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

paul_stejskal

I would get with your account team and have them reach out to Oracle or SAP architects. These architects are wonderful and know their stuff! They can help plan your specific migration and give you the best way possible, besides what is in the TRs.

KevinMorris

Recommend you engage with us directly. We would need to know more information around the versions and the DB types involved. To do any type of online migration of SAP we would need to use DB tools to replicate data, however there are other considerations that need to be taken into account. Offline migration is recommended, or you will need to use a supported SAP migration strategy (export/import or backup/recovery)

Public