ONTAP Discussions

De-duplication on single filer: how long should it take?

sjwk

I currently have a single FAS2220 running 8.2.3 7mode, with 12x1Tb split in half and managed with dual controllers.  Single volume of 1.5Tb on each controller, serving up VMs to ESXi hosts via NFS.  I have de-duplication scheduled at quiet times weekly to avoid database maintenance, backups and peak usage - volume A Saturday at 2am, volume B Sunday at 6am.

I've noticed that the de-duplication time is getting quite large - 8 hours on volume A and 6 hours on volume B from last weekend, similar for at least the weekend or two before, based on my graphs of disk I/O.  On the plus side, I am getting 47% savings on A and 55% on B from the de-duplication.

Are these times normal for a small 1.5Tb volume?  Is it not incremental, i.e., it only has to scan changed blocks?  

I know on a 12 disk array, I'm pretty tight on IOPS - I'm in the process of looking into either adding a shelf with another dozen disks, or replacing with a newer FAS25xx series 24 drive unit (just comparing costs) - mainly for the added spindles rather than capacity as the whole array is getting sluggish!  How will that affect de-dupe time? Will the added capacity make it take longer to run, or the added spindles mean it runs faster?

0 REPLIES 0
Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

Public