ONTAP Discussions

Dedup of NetBackup images on Fibre Channel LUNs

jondtabar

Does anyone have any real-world examples of deduplication savings on NetBackup images that are stored on NetApp FC LUNs?  I know there are a lot of variables in this equation, though I'm still curious to see how this works out for people.

4 REPLIES 4

romeotheriault

Not FC, but we use NFS for some of our Netbackup images. Here are the savings that we are seeing on them. The % number at the end is the percentage of savings we are seeing on that volume. First two volumes are 500gb's and last is a 1 TB volume.

/vol/netbackup_storage1/      411GB      313GB          43%
/vol/netbackup_storage2/      380GB      205GB          35%
/vol/netbackup_storage3/      826GB      282GB          26%

Romeo

jooss

I'm not aware of any numbers that we  NetBackup numbers but Romeo seems to have some pretty good numbers and someone else might be aware of some NetApp numbers.  Deduplication is really protocol independent so we wouldn't expect different numbers based on protocol.

Cheers,

Rick

support

Dedup also depends on the type of data that is being stored. If there are fewer duplicated blocks of data - lower dedup savings.

amiller_1

I can't comment for NetBackup on FC LUNs but we do have Backup Exec customers using a NetApp as a Backup to Disk Target over CIFS.

The space savings there are quite high -- basically in line with the number of full backups they're storing (we'll often create one volume per Backup Exec client to maximize space savings).

Public