ONTAP Discussions

Efficiency always enable for FAS with HDD, how to disable?

alessice

Hi,

I'm migrating 3 old FAS 2554 on 2 new FAS 2720 (with many more disks but always HDD) with ONTAP 9.9.1. Old and new FAS have both Flash Pool.

When creating a volume on FAS 2720 always enables efficiency for any volume (Background deduplication) but since I have only HDD, and my data is already gzipped on the source I'm not interested in any efficiency that has also a negative effect on performance. So I have to disable on every new volume, or when using SnapMirror I have to create "relationship", and before starting, disables efficiency on new created volume, that ONTAP enables by default.

cluster4::> volume efficiency show
Vserver    Volume           State     Status      Progress           Policy
---------- ---------------- --------- ----------- ------------------ ----------
svm01-cl4  Vault            Disabled  Idle        Idle for 409:28:27 -
svm02-cl4   Control         Disabled  Idle        Idle for 147:24:48 -

So my questions are:

• why efficiency is enabled by default also on non AFF?
  • Can I disable efficiency at system/global level?
  • Is sufficient a " volume efficiency stop VolName" to disable?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

pedro_rocha

Hi,

I'll try to help.

It should not be enabled by default. If you create the volume via CLI, it still enabled dedupe for that volume?

You manage efficiency per volume. You can though modify some options (node shell) to enable inline efficiency for non-AFF systems (which would work like a global setting).

You should use "volume efficiency off" command to disable both inline/postprocess compression and dedup. Savings still preserved. If you want to remove savings, use the "volume efficiency undo" command.

Regards,

Pedro.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pedro_rocha

Hi,

I'll try to help.

It should not be enabled by default. If you create the volume via CLI, it still enabled dedupe for that volume?

You manage efficiency per volume. You can though modify some options (node shell) to enable inline efficiency for non-AFF systems (which would work like a global setting).

You should use "volume efficiency off" command to disable both inline/postprocess compression and dedup. Savings still preserved. If you want to remove savings, use the "volume efficiency undo" command.

Regards,

Pedro.

alessice

Hi,

yes, when a volume is created by CLI, efficiency is not enabled and the volume is not show in "volume efficiency show". Only when created via ONTAP System Manager (9.9.1) is enabled by default.

And yes, on volume create via "ONTAP System Manager" or by SnapMirror "Protect Volumes" wizard I have to do "volume efficiency off" and "volume efficiency undo ..." to completely disable efficiency.

Thanks

Public