ONTAP Discussions

Email alert suggestions

TimJMcCuen

Hello,

I  work at a site that doesn't allow for autosupport to send messages to NetApp support.   I have  setup email alerts internally but am looking for some ideas / suggestions on what to alert on?    To start I am looking for alerts for the following occurs:

Drive failure,  port goes down / offline,  and when a volume is above 90% full.

I realize there additional pieces of software I can buy that will help notify me when these events occur but we have no budget for more software.

I am running ONTAP 9.7p12

In looking at the EMS event catalog 9.7 I believe ""disk.outOfService" and "disk.ioRecoveredError.pfa" should be what I should use for failing/failed disks. Unless someone has a better suggestion?

Does anyone have any suggestions on the exact event I should monitor for ports / hardware offline and volume over 90%?

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

aladd

Are you using AIQUM to capture SNMP traps or just the general alert notifications? Many of the typical hardware failures are already set up in AutoSupport if you are just configured to receive email notifications properly (such as: hardware failures, takeover, link down, etc.)

TimJMcCuen

We are just using general alert notifications.  Thanks

TimJMcCuen

We are  not allowed to send out alerts through auto support it is disabled.

paul_stejskal

aladd

You should still be able to configure it to send a note-to email and disable it from sending to NetApp Support.

See below references for configuration.

https://docs.netapp.com/us-en/ontap/system-admin/setup-autosupport-task.html

This way you can receive the email notification for the typical fault types and still disallow it sending to support.

cruxrealm

As per suggestion  AIQUM is free and you can use to consolidate all alerts from all you storage (assuming they are all running on (DOT 9.x).      As for alerts,  the default setting usually is sufficient.  You can have autosupport sent to internal email.    If the alerts is too much for you,  you can then play around with filters using the "event notification/configuration"

Public