ONTAP Discussions

FC Metro Cluster - Factory Build??

nsitps1976

How does a fabric attached MC come from the factory? I gather the back end FC switches are not configured and neither are the ATTO bridges… If this is the case, how could DOT be loaded on the system and if loaded how would we know where this has been loaded? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aborzenkov

Well, I /expect/ root aggregate to be on the first shelf (yes, sticker had shelf number as well) but I would not eat my hat.

To be honest, I never really cared. Moving empty root volume takes 5 minutes at most. And every controller sees every shelf anyway.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

aborzenkov

Controllers always come preloaded, but there is really no problem to reinstall them. As long as you connect all shelves to back-end fabric, controllers will find their disks just fine. Also normally shelves have stickers with controller serial numbers.

nsitps1976

Thanks for the reply. I never knew about the shelf to controller serial number!, so this is how you would know where the root aggr is located?

aborzenkov

Well, I /expect/ root aggregate to be on the first shelf (yes, sticker had shelf number as well) but I would not eat my hat.

To be honest, I never really cared. Moving empty root volume takes 5 minutes at most. And every controller sees every shelf anyway.

nsitps1976

makes sense, thanks again

Public