ONTAP Discussions

FabricPool and Deduplication

heightsnj

As I understand, FabricPool tiering would not transfer deduplicated data over to AWS S3, and it would have to be rehydrated first. My question is:
1. Where rehydrating process would take place, on the storeage cluster?

2. then when retrieving data back to the sotrage cluster from S3, will data be duplicated again?
3. how much performance could be degraded?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

SpindleNinja

Give this a read over:  https://www.netapp.com/us/media/tr-4598.pdf  

" Storage efficiencies such as compression, deduplication, and compaction are preserved when moving data to the capacity tier, reducing object storage and transport costs. Aggregate inline deduplication is supported on the performance tier, but associated storage efficiencies are not carried over to objects stored on the cloud tier."  

So yes, there is a lot preserved,  but when the data is moved off the "local" aggr, you lose the aggr level dedupe.  

heightsnj

This was the part I don't get.

So, are you saying that I will lose the  aggregate level inline deup, but compression and compaction will be preserved? If yes, then again, as I asked earlier,  data will be get rehydrated first then transferred to Object storage, correct?

on the other side:
> Storage efficiencies such as compression, deduplication, and compaction are preserved when moving data to the capacity tier,
This section seems to me that all efficiencies (including deduplication? if yes then contradictting above!)  will be preseved, and moved to the storage. So, I am confused. 

SpindleNinja

Just the aggr level dedup will be lost.  And like with any other effecicy feature, minute preformace impact.  

Public