ONTAP Discussions

FlexGroup configurations

Tas

I've seen the FG Best Practices guide and the manual.

Both seem to imply that disks, RG-types, and RG-sizes should be the same across the board when creating FG's.

Is this a best practice for best performance?

1. What if I have an ADP RG, which will have a fewer number of drives in the first RG?  Is this okay?

2. The next four or five RG's in the aggregate will have our standard RT-type, 24-disc/4TB's.  Would this be okay

The next node's aggregate may be all 24-disc RT-type, 4TB, 6TB or 8TB.  Will this be allright?

Thank you

TasP

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

CHRISMAKI

Hi Tas,

The reason for this consistency requirement, which I believe is a soft-requirement, is for consitant performance across constituent volumes. When a FlexGroup is created, it provisions a multiple of constituent volumes across the aggegates it is allowed to consume from. If half of the FG is on NL-SAS and the other half is on SSD, access performance will vary wildly, depending on which constituent volume a file got written.

Since it appears all of your aggregates are going to be NL-SAS, I wouldn't be overly concerned about the differences between them, you likely won't notice much of a difference, if any.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CHRISMAKI

Hi Tas,

The reason for this consistency requirement, which I believe is a soft-requirement, is for consitant performance across constituent volumes. When a FlexGroup is created, it provisions a multiple of constituent volumes across the aggegates it is allowed to consume from. If half of the FG is on NL-SAS and the other half is on SSD, access performance will vary wildly, depending on which constituent volume a file got written.

Since it appears all of your aggregates are going to be NL-SAS, I wouldn't be overly concerned about the differences between them, you likely won't notice much of a difference, if any.

View solution in original post

Tas

Thanks @CHRISMAKI .  @tmac said the same.  Now I have confirmation from two sources.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public