Community maintenance is complete. Thank you for your patience!

ONTAP Discussions

Following Symbolic Links which are outside a CIFS share

Mark_Williams

With ONTAP 7-mode I could follow links outside of the CIFS share using symlink.trranslation Map entries,

but with CTOP 9 I can't get this to work using the new implemenation of  defining a UNIX Path for an existing share

I can only get relative and absolute folder and file symbolic links to work within the share

Doe's anyone know if this is possible with CTOP 9.2 ?

2 REPLIES 2

DONBARTON1

Did you ever get an answer on this.  I am just now having to take on a migration from SAMBA where this worked and it doesn't work as far as I can see in 9.1P8. 

Will follow up if I find a definitive answer.

Mark_Williams

I didn’t get an answer, but I did find a resolution to my problem

When creating the symlink I needed to use the freelink option.

The freelink option is not available via the GUI so use the cifs symlink create command with the -locality freelink

This gave me the symbolic link functionality I required within a CIFS mounted drive

Example

cifs symlink create -unix-path /rel/ -cifs-path /vol/release/rel/ -locality freelink

where the /rel NFS mount point resolves to /vol/release/rel

Note :  I also believe the share ( in this case pc_rel )  has to be modified as follows

cifs share modify -share-name pc_rel -symlink-properties symlinks-and-widelinks no-strict-security

The above information should provide you the information for you to resolve your problem

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public