ONTAP Discussions

Got a donated FAS2040, what now ?

ramses

Hi,

my company updated to a newer storage so they donated me a FAS2040.

My problem is, its far away from any other storages i know and i really dont know how to start with it.

Can somebody give me please some basic informations like:

- How can i reset it to manufacture defaults?

- How can i access it ?

- What kind of software do i need to configure it?

- How can i do a firmware/bios/whatever update before usage?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SpindleNinja

hwu shows that max raw capacity for the FAS2040 is 408TB or 136 drives.  (whatever comes first.)  and looks 3TB X308A-R5 is the largest drive it supports on the most recent codeline.  (8.1.4)

Note that you cannot just take an off the shelf drive and put it in there either. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Drew_C

Hi @ramses, and wWelcome to the NetApp Community!

I moved your post over to the ONTAP Discussions area to get a better audience for your post.

I'd also like to bring your attention to our Knowledge Base. There's a LOT of self-service information there as well.

Community Manager \\ NetApp

ramses

@Drew_C 

Thanks for your welcome and  moving it to the right place.

Since i'm not into storage systems and a not native english speaker, the knowledge base is just overburden me.

Hoping for some basic informations.

if i got the software i need and can connect it, i'm pretty sure i can configure it for my needs alone.

SpindleNinja

There's a serial port on the rear of each controller.    default user is "root". password will be whatever will be what ever was set.  you can also reset this via the boot menu.   

You can "factory default" it by booting and running option 4 on both nodes (second ctrl c for the boot menu) .   HOWEVER. all license keys, config and data will be lost and are non-transferable and NetApp cannot provide them,  so make sure you have them before you do that.   

The 2040 is old, end of life/support as well.   There's nothing new being added to it and it can only run what is referred to as "7mode".    Here's probably your best place to start https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP1421621/html/GUID-045F3BA9-C253-4443-A0CC-393996EF50DC.html 

ramses

@SpindleNinja 

Thanks for your reply and the link.

There are some points i dont get:

1. What for do i need license keys, its hardware what was paid?! I'm more into QNAP Systems and known to "push back button 5 seconds to reset, boot up and reconfigure, done".

2. Is there no configuring option over the LAN-Port with a default IP ?

I thinks for the serial connection i need a special cable and putty,or?

My last question is, what if i cant get the serial key again. Can i use it still as raid5 storage in a network? Dont really need more than that. I just want to use it for home usage.

SpindleNinja

1. What for do i need license keys, its hardware what was paid?! I'm more into QNAP Systems and known to "push back button". 

All FAS type systems are enterprise grade.  The licenses enable the various features and protocols on the system and not transferable.  They allow various features and protocols to be allowed to function on the controllers. 

2. Is there no configuring option over the LAN-Port with a default IP ?

Yes,  if you know the IPs/username/password.   Otherwise, serial via CLI.   

3. My last question is, what if i cant get the serial key again. Can i use it still as raid5 storage in a network? Dont really need more than that. I just want to use it for home usage.    

You technically can, depends what the system is licensed for.   To add, you would just never be able to wipe it or upgrade/patch it.  (FYI it's not RAID 5, it's RAID-DP)

ramses

@SpindleNinja 

Thanks for your input, it's really useful to me. I would have never figured out all that stuff.

So i guess you would suggest to try to get the license key before to go any further,or?

Can you tell me how its about the maximum storage size? I know many vendors say up to X TB Harddisk but they also run with bigger ones without any problems (my QNAP Enterprise is running with 8x10TB and should only run with 2tb (vendor specs).

Is NetApp more strictly with this ? 2TB HDD means 2TBB HDD or could it be possible it runs with bigger ones "without warranty"?

If you say 2TB is 2TB, the FAS is going to trash 😞

SpindleNinja

hwu shows that max raw capacity for the FAS2040 is 408TB or 136 drives.  (whatever comes first.)  and looks 3TB X308A-R5 is the largest drive it supports on the most recent codeline.  (8.1.4)

Note that you cannot just take an off the shelf drive and put it in there either. 

ramses

@SpindleNinja 

Again you were very helpfull.

Wanted to put in 12x Dell/EMC 7.68TB 12Gb/s SAS SSD (EMC PN: 118000634) MZ-ILT7T6A

You pointed me the right direction ...time to throw that 2040 to trash.

Thank you very much for your time and knowledge.

Public