ONTAP Discussions

Graceful Power Down Procedure for FAS2240 (7-Mode)

marshit

Hello, 

I will be following the procedure below to power down my 2 HA paired controllers, NO cluster.  I will actually probably run "halt -s". 

The ONE question I simply have is, "Do I run the "halt" command on both controllers, or will running it on 1 suffice to shut down both controllers?"

Perform the following steps in Data ONTAP 8.2 (7-Mode) to bring the system down

If the storage system is clustered, enter cf disable. Alternatively, follow the section 'For a clustered storage system...' given below in step 4.

1. Notify, disconnect, and, if needed, shut down all the connected CIFS/NFS clients.
  2. If there are any hosts that have FCP or iSCSI-based LUNs, shut them down before shutting down the storage system.
  3. Terminate CIFS with the cifs terminate command.
  4. Run the halt command at the storage system command line interface.
  5. Allow the storage system to terminate Data ONTAP, and then transition to the 'loader' prompt.
  6. Physically power down the head and then all the attached disk shelves as needed.
  7. Physically unplug the cables from power supplies on the back of the storage systems and shelves, to avoid any electrical issues when external power is restored.

Perform the following steps to bring the system back online
  1. Reconnect all the power cables if previously disconnected.
  2. Power ON switches
  3. Physically power up all disk shelves first.
    • Info: Wait at least 30 seconds after the last disk shelf is powered ON
  4. Power ON the storage system head
  5. Verify the storage system is up, all services are running, and network connectivity is present
  6. Enter cf enable and monitor with cf status

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

paul_stejskal

In 7-mode, the HA pair is referred to as a cluster in the sense of failover clustering. It's not a true cluster more like what we have in ONTAP 9, but you do still have to disable the HA failover.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

hmoubara

Hello,

Once you initiate the cf disable, you will have to initiate the halt command on each node separately.

Thanks 

marshit

I don't need to run cf disable, I don't have a cluster, just an HA pair.

pedro_rocha

it's a good idea to disable cluster failover

it will guarantee that when powering on/off no takeover/giveback occurs. Since you are powering down, that is a good practice.

paul_stejskal

In 7-mode, the HA pair is referred to as a cluster in the sense of failover clustering. It's not a true cluster more like what we have in ONTAP 9, but you do still have to disable the HA failover.

Public