ONTAP Discussions

Have anybody heard about data corruption transfer with snapvault to the sec-system or is it impossible?

ZOLLNET9999

Hey,

I have a question.

Have anbody heard about data corruption transfer with snapvault to the sec-system?

We want to backup our files from the prim-system to a sec-system with snapvault.

But we heard that is not secure, because there is no media break and snapvault will transfere a logical failure to the sec-system if there is one.

We heard that snapvault don't transfere the WAFL-pointer, the sec-system makes new one, so it's not possible to transfere logical failures.

Is it right?

Thank you for help.

2 REPLIES 2

radek_kubka

I would say this sounds like a competitor's FUD

Yes, you can argue that if you have two different technology stacks at source & backup destination, it *may* be more resilient - but realistically SnapVault is a very robust way of backing up data.

WOODROGER

SnapVault creates an exact read-only copy of a source volume or primary qtree to a destination qtree.  SnapVault does not guarantee consistency at the time of the transfer unless you use SnapDrive, SnapManager in conjunction with SnapDrive or a custom script that either places the database in a hot backup mode or flushes writes to disk before the snapshot is taken to be used as the baseline for the next replication.  I highly recommend reading the Best Practices for SnapVault (TR-3487) for more information.

Public