ONTAP Discussions

How do I move a volume to a different node

EDWARDROSE

Hello 

I have a volume that I created on one of our SVMs on our backup filer.  The volume is in the correct SVM and on the right aggregate but it is managed by node 1.  I need it to be managed by node2.  How do I change the managing node?  

The reason is we are running NetBackup 7.6.0.3 and we are using node based backups/restores instead of cluster aware backups due to limitations in 7.6.0.3. 

Thanks

ed

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

raj_shrivastava11

Hi,

If i understood correctly u want the volume to be on same SVM but want to move from Node2 to Node 1 right?

Just move the volume via "vol move" command to Node1 Aggr. This is online operation.

BR

Raj

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

SeanHatfield

Ownership from a node perspective is not done at the volume level.  It is done at the aggregate level.  You may need to move the volume to an aggregate owned by the desired node, or move the entire aggregate to the desired node.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

prakash_csc
Hi ed,

There is no direct methid to move volume from svm 1 to svm 2 .

Options

Snapmiror that volume managed by svm 1 to a new volume managed by svm 2 and perform the cutover.

Backup and restore the volume data to new volume managed by svm 2.

These are only available options for you to fix this issue.

raj_shrivastava11

Hi,

If i understood correctly u want the volume to be on same SVM but want to move from Node2 to Node 1 right?

Just move the volume via "vol move" command to Node1 Aggr. This is online operation.

BR

Raj

PrakashMK

Volume Move operation is just to move a volume from one aggregate to another aggregate. 

Problem here is to move that volume from one node to another node.

PrakashMK

Hi Ed, 

Volume move is not the correct solution here, this would just help you to move from a source aggregate to a destination aggregate.

Node 1 -> Aggregate 1-> SVM 1--> Volume 1

Node 2  -> Aggr 2 --> SVM2 

If you are trying to achieve moving a volume , it will end using different aggregate .

Public