ONTAP Discussions

How to DISABLE Root-Data-Data Partitioning

TMADOCTHOMAS

I am repurposing an old AFF8080 (and a small SSD shelf) as a test system. I created the cluster, set up networking, and was about to create data aggregates when I noticed root-data-data partitioning was automatically configured. The problem is I want to do old-school individual physical disks for root and data aggregates. Why? Because I expect a couple of disks to fail eventually, but can't replace them on this box. When they fail I'll just remove the disk and have one less disk. Not sure how root-data-data works exactly, but I'd expect that I can only have a couple of disks fail before it starts having issues.

On top of that, even if I were keeping root-data-data, somehow the assignments are screwy with only 4 disks assigned to one node and 20 to the other. Either way, I need to reconfigure the disks.

I cannot find anything that spells out how to disable root-data-data. Or ... if there's a way to leave it enabled but exclude a few physical disks (for my scenario of removing failed disks), that would work too. Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

pedro_rocha

Hi,

Take a look here: https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Software/ONTAP_OS/What_are_the_steps_followed_to__configure_advanced_drive_partitioning_...

* Advanced Drive Partitioning Boot Menu Options *

(9a) Unpartition all disks and remove their ownership information.
(9b) Clean configuration and initialize system with partitioned disks.
(9c) Clean configuration and initialize system with whole disks.
(9d) Reboot the node.
(9e) Return to main boot menu.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pedro_rocha

Hi,

Did you try option 9a and then 4 from the boot menu (or maybe 9c)?

TMADOCTHOMAS

Hi @pedro_rocha , I had planned on choosing option 4, but I am unfamiliar with option 9 (either a or c). Do you know of any current documentation on these options?

pedro_rocha

Hi,

Take a look here: https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Software/ONTAP_OS/What_are_the_steps_followed_to__configure_advanced_drive_partitioning_...

* Advanced Drive Partitioning Boot Menu Options *

(9a) Unpartition all disks and remove their ownership information.
(9b) Clean configuration and initialize system with partitioned disks.
(9c) Clean configuration and initialize system with whole disks.
(9d) Reboot the node.
(9e) Return to main boot menu.

TMADOCTHOMAS

Thank you @pedro_rocha ! That is exactly the information I was looking for. Looks like 9a followed by 9c are the options I need to take for my scenario. Thank you very much!!

pedro_rocha

I hope that helps you getting your desired outcome.

Public