ONTAP Discussions

How to Move a Qtree to Another Volume

SirLoinOfBeef

I cannot find any information on how to move a qtree to another volume in ONTAP 9.7. Is it possible? I have a FlexVol with over 20 QTrees and I need to move at least half of them somewhere else. How can I accomplish this?

14 REPLIES 14

dbenadib

Unfortunatly there is no Qtree Snapmirror available in ONTAP. For your use case you could probably clone the volume and remove on both volume un-necessary Qtrees.

We have an ONTAP command to perform massive deletion : vol file async-delete

https://docs.netapp.com/us-en/ontap/flexgroup/fast-directory-delete-asynchronous-task.html 

SirLoinOfBeef

Yeah, I saw that but being its from six years ago I thought that suggestion was no longer viable.

Ontapforrum

Unfortunately, nothing much has changed as far as qtree migration is concerned. Suggestions in the thread still holds good. Also, to note that 'qtree snapmirror' that existed in 7-mode, was still a 'logical replication' and not block-for-block, just that it made migration smoother and convenient as it happened with the in the filer.

SirLoinOfBeef

Do I have to stop any qtrees that are shared in order to move them?

In this volume I have 38 qtrees and of that 25 of them are shared.

Can I flexclone this while these qtrees are accessible to users?

Ontapforrum

Yes, you can flexclone without affecting anything. That's a beauty of flexcloning.

Use FlexClone volumes to create efficient copies of your FlexVol volumes overview (netapp.com)

SirLoinOfBeef

But how do I keep some qtrees in ne volume and the rest in another? I have been tasked with reducing the number of qtrees in this volume, some of which are being shared.

I am still confused how to do this even if I Can easily use flexclone to make a copy of the volume.

satya1992_

Hi, 

you can move the qtrees to a volume using the lun move command as long as it has a lun associated with it.

lun move start -destination-path -source-path.

Thank You 

SirLoinOfBeef

Unfortunately these are all volumes, no LUINs.

EWILTS_SAS

Personally, I would use XCP to move the data.  This is a free tool from NetApp that is the fastest copy program you'll find anywhere.  https://xcp.netapp.com.  Go to the web site and get a license, then download.  It can move both NFS and CIFS data although I've only used it with NFS.

If you use the other suggestion to clone the entire volume and then delete what you don't want, use xcp delete for the deletion phase, not async-delete.  xcp outperforms it by a LOT.  I don't think async-delete was around in 9.7 yet.

SirLoinOfBeef

But how do I keep some qtrees in ne volume and the rest in another? I have been tasked with reducing the number of qtrees in this volume, some of which are being shared.

I am still confused how to do this even if I Can easily use flexclone to make a copy of the volume.

dbenadib

Hi,

you will have to cuttover and create new share using the new path. Let me know if you want to discuss it, I could help and even show you in a Lab 😉

david.benadiba@netapp.com

SirLoinOfBeef

Thank You! I will definitely reach out this week as I could use the help!

SirLoinOfBeef

Hello, I have another question:
IF I create a new volume - chihr, and use XCP to copy the data in the hr qtree to this new volume, can I still use the cifs share modify command?
cifs share modify -share-name <share_name> -path <newpath (ie: /vol_clone/qt)>

Public