ONTAP Discussions

How to change the disk ID's ?

Maurice-FreeOnes

We have 5 different 4 nodes clusters running an at the moment and almost in every cluster the disk ID's are different. For example in one they are the following when running the command "disk show":

Disk id 5.0.0, 5.0.1, etc and 7.0.0, 7.0.1, etc

When you start from scratch your disk id's are 0.0.0 or 1.0.0 (not sure or it starts at zero or one). Is it possible to change the disk ids from Disk id 5.0.0, 5.0.1, etc and 7.0.0, 7.0.1, etc into Disk id 1.0.0, 1.0.1, etc and 2.0.0, 2.0.1, etc? And if so how do you do this?

thanks for your time,

Maurice

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AlainTansi

Hi Maurice,

Have you noticed this change recently or its something you think was misconfigured ?

The usual problem that can cause stack id change can either be cabling or a temporal duplicate shelf id

- INTERNAL COMMANDS DELETED BY ADMINISTRATOR AD - Please contact support for more information

Please if this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO or both!

🙂 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Mjizzini

"Disk id 5.0.0",  The first number corresponds to  Stack ID. The second corresponds  to Shelf ID, and the third number Is the bay number.

The Stack ID is auto assigned by the system. It cant be modified manually.

Maurice-FreeOnes

"The Stack ID is auto assigned by the system. It cant be modified manually."

Oh ok that's bad ;(

AlainTansi

Hi Maurice,

Have you noticed this change recently or its something you think was misconfigured ?

The usual problem that can cause stack id change can either be cabling or a temporal duplicate shelf id

- INTERNAL COMMANDS DELETED BY ADMINISTRATOR AD - Please contact support for more information

Please if this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO or both!

🙂 

Maurice-FreeOnes

This has happened during migrations while adding new filers and taking older ones out of the stack.

Thank you, I am going to give this a try soon!

Regards, Maurice

AlexDawson

Hi @Maurice-FreeOnes - I've deleted your most recent reply. Please contact support for more information on how to resolve this issue. Debug commands should not have been posted on here previously.

Zain_Iqbal

since stack id is auto assigned, so do i just need to trace shelf id and bay id to trace my disk?

As you know the the format  of disk id  is "stack_id.shelf_id.bay_number".

I just need last 2 to trace by disk?

Public