ONTAP Discussions

How to choose agg for dest vol in a Protection Relationship

optimus

I have four aggregates, two SAS and two NL-SAS. I created a Mirror and Vault Protection Relationship and it automatically created the destination volume on the wrong aggregate. I never had a choice.

When creating a Protection Relationship, how would I choose which aggregate the destination volume is created on?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SpindleNinja

Ah ok.  And no problem! 

So an (assuming) AFF)  snapmirroring to DR that has both SAS and SATA.     The GUI/Wizard will do some calculations to see what it thinks the best aggr to place the DP volume on.  You can always move it on the DR side of things. 

You can used Unified Manager to see what the higher IO volumes are to put them on SAS.  and keep things like home drives on SATA. 

That make sense? 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

SpindleNinja

All on the same cluster?     But typically, if you can.  like for like.   

optimus

The aggregates I want to choose from are on the same cluster. What do you mean by like for like?

SpindleNinja

Like for like, meaning that SAS goes on SAS and SATA goes one SATA.   

What version of ontap are you on?   

optimus

My source nodes (primary site) have SSD aggs and my dest nodes (DR site) have SAS and NL-SAS aggs. I want to have one Mirror and Vault Protection Relationship for my SSD source vols to SAS dest vols (retain 2 weeks) and another for the same SSD source vols to NL-SAS dest vols (retain 7 years). I'm pretty new to this so feel free to recommend another approach.

ONTAP 9.4

SpindleNinja

Ah ok.  And no problem! 

So an (assuming) AFF)  snapmirroring to DR that has both SAS and SATA.     The GUI/Wizard will do some calculations to see what it thinks the best aggr to place the DP volume on.  You can always move it on the DR side of things. 

You can used Unified Manager to see what the higher IO volumes are to put them on SAS.  and keep things like home drives on SATA. 

That make sense? 

optimus

Oh man that's funny, I didn't know I could just move them!

These are all volumes for VMware datastores so I want the highest performance possible. I want them mirrored to SAS so that in a DR scenario they're running on that. I want to use the NL-SAS just for long term backups.

SpindleNinja

No problem! 

Public