ONTAP Discussions

Intercluster peering requirements

TNR9001

Hello Experts,

We are currently setting up a new FAS2554 system runinng OnTAP 9. I was revewing the prerequisites for cluster peering. It says 2 ports per node are required. The FAS unit we have only has a single controller in it. Will cluster peering work in a single controller enviroment or do we require a HA setup? This system is running a single controller as it s a backup NAS.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Naveenpusuluru

You can do cluster peering to single controller also. Why we need two paths is for redundancy. Please find the cluster peering steps below.

Before performing cluster peering you need to create intercluster lifs.

>cluster peer create -cluster <Remote clustername> -peer-addrs <ips of intercluster lifs> -auth-status-admin use-authentication -ipspace Default

>cluster peer show -instance

>Cluster peer health show

After creating cluster peering you need to establish peering between vservers(SVM's).

>vserver peer create -vserver <local svm> -peer-vserver <svmname> -applications snapmirror -peer-cluster <Remote cluster name>

>vserver peer show -instance

Naveenkumar Pusuluru

Storage lead | C3i healthcare connections

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Sahana

Hi,

It requires HA setup. Please refer http://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.netapp.doc.dot-cm-dpg%2FGUID-3498EC3C-320D-4D09-B68F-AB894007F7DD.html

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

aborzenkov

You do not need HA Pair to establish cluster peering. The only requirement is full mesh - each node of one cluster must be able to speak with each node of other cluster. Two ports aer recommended from redundancy considreations, but this is not required.

Naveenpusuluru

You can do cluster peering to single controller also. Why we need two paths is for redundancy. Please find the cluster peering steps below.

Before performing cluster peering you need to create intercluster lifs.

>cluster peer create -cluster <Remote clustername> -peer-addrs <ips of intercluster lifs> -auth-status-admin use-authentication -ipspace Default

>cluster peer show -instance

>Cluster peer health show

After creating cluster peering you need to establish peering between vservers(SVM's).

>vserver peer create -vserver <local svm> -peer-vserver <svmname> -applications snapmirror -peer-cluster <Remote cluster name>

>vserver peer show -instance

Naveenkumar Pusuluru

Storage lead | C3i healthcare connections

TNR9001

Thanks for the reply. I was able to setup a test intracluster SVM peer relationship. One possible issue. The target SVM machine only has a single controller. The other cluster has two controllers HA setup. Because the target machine only has one controller the HA node is showing "partial" availability. Is there something I should do to fix this?

Naveenpusuluru

Hi @TNR9001

Can you please post the out put of "cluster peer show - instance".

Possibly it will show as partial only. after some time it will show you as peered only .... Please let me know the below option what you have selected while creating cluster peer?

-auth-status-admin

So that i can help you with this issue.

TNR9001

Edit. Problem solved. It was a cabling issue. Both peer interfaces are showing healthy.

Thank you.

Public