ONTAP Discussions

Is it possible that pool1 disks exist in the shelf of another HA pair?

Daniel_66

There is a 4 nodes cluster, node1/node2 is a HA pair, node3/node4 is another HA pair. I want to use "aggr create aggr1 -mirror true" command to create a mirrored aggregate. Pool0 disks are in the shelf that is connected on node1/node2 HA pair. when assigning pool1 disks, Can I use these disks in the shelf that is connected on node3/node4 HA pair? As per MetroCluster's disk assignment layout, it seems possible that Pool1 disks exist in another HA pair.

I am looking forward to your help, thanks in advanced.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SpindleNinja

I don't think it is possible.   MetroClusters  have the mechanisms(FC/bridges  iWARP/iSCSI)  to allow disks to be seen a cross HA pairs at a block layer.    The cluster network is IP networking. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

SpindleNinja

I don't think it is possible.   MetroClusters  have the mechanisms(FC/bridges  iWARP/iSCSI)  to allow disks to be seen a cross HA pairs at a block layer.    The cluster network is IP networking. 

Daniel_66

I think you are right. In the MCCIP, pool1 disks are assigned after issuing the "metrocluster configuration-settings connection connect" command.  The command will create iscsi-initiators that are used by partner cluster in order to connect another HA pair's disks(that is pool1 disks). However, local 4 node's cluster can't create these iscsi-initiators, so another HA pair's disks aren't visible. Then it is impossible to assign another HA pair's disks to pool1

Public