ONTAP Discussions

Is it possible that pool1 disks exist in the shelf of another HA pair?

Daniel_66

There is a 4 nodes cluster, node1/node2 is a HA pair, node3/node4 is another HA pair. I want to use "aggr create aggr1 -mirror true" command to create a mirrored aggregate. Pool0 disks are in the shelf that is connected on node1/node2 HA pair. when assigning pool1 disks, Can I use these disks in the shelf that is connected on node3/node4 HA pair? As per MetroCluster's disk assignment layout, it seems possible that Pool1 disks exist in another HA pair.

I am looking forward to your help, thanks in advanced.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SpindleNinja

I don't think it is possible.   MetroClusters  have the mechanisms(FC/bridges  iWARP/iSCSI)  to allow disks to be seen a cross HA pairs at a block layer.    The cluster network is IP networking. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

SpindleNinja

I don't think it is possible.   MetroClusters  have the mechanisms(FC/bridges  iWARP/iSCSI)  to allow disks to be seen a cross HA pairs at a block layer.    The cluster network is IP networking. 

View solution in original post

Daniel_66

I think you are right. In the MCCIP, pool1 disks are assigned after issuing the "metrocluster configuration-settings connection connect" command.  The command will create iscsi-initiators that are used by partner cluster in order to connect another HA pair's disks(that is pool1 disks). However, local 4 node's cluster can't create these iscsi-initiators, so another HA pair's disks aren't visible. Then it is impossible to assign another HA pair's disks to pool1

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public