ONTAP Discussions

Junction path - Volume provisioning for SAN

AravindJoshi

When we have vservers with SAN Protocol, any volume provisioned under should not have a junction path created. Is there any way NetApp is looking to remove junction path creation for volumes created on vserver with SAN Protocol with future Ontap releases? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mjizzini

There are no difference between SAN volume and NAS volume.

Volumes or qtrees will contain files in case they serve using NAS.

Volumes or qtrees will contain LUNs in case they serve using SAN. 

Note that Vserver are capable of serving NAS and SAN at same time.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Ontapforrum

Agree, "path to LUNs" inside the storage is meaningless to the block protocols, b'cos block protocols (iSCSI, FC, and FCoE) access LUNs by using LUN IDs and serial numbers, along with unique names. Therefore, junction path is not needed for volumes that contain LUNs. But, I am guessing the volume creation under the root SVM automatically maps to the root svm name hierarchy independent of which protocols are applied to it. I don't know if this will require some enhancement request and considering this is not a show stopper it may not be taken up. Engineering will be best to comment.

Mjizzini

There are no difference between SAN volume and NAS volume.

Volumes or qtrees will contain files in case they serve using NAS.

Volumes or qtrees will contain LUNs in case they serve using SAN. 

Note that Vserver are capable of serving NAS and SAN at same time.

ShivanshuJaiswal

I have been using ontap versions 9 and above, where junction paths does not gets created automatically unless specifically mentioned in the command. Later if one intends to export or mount it, one can use 'vol mount' command where a parameter comes up for giving the junction-path.

Public