Community maintenance is complete. Thank you for your patience!

ONTAP Discussions

LIF Failover conditions

steven_langdale

Hello

I'm trying to confirm the conditions that will initiate a LIF failover.  Aside from a whole node going down, will a LIF only failover if there is a link loss?

If that's the case, is there any other options I can employ to protect against the upstream switch failing but NOT taking a port offline?  I can't use LACP across two switches in this environmment.

Thanks

Steven

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I believe this is what you looking for Scenarios that cause a LIF failover.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

robinpeter

If you have multiple core and switch redudency, upstream switch failing should not be a problem in your network.

Ontap is not designed to handle such failure. that should be handled in your network design.

In a NAS environment, netapp controller is not aware or keeping track of the client status until client request reach netapp.

Let the controller do what it disigned/suppose to do rather than trying to fix everything with it.

Here is some failover policy you can configure on your LIFs..  

https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP1636021/html/GUID-92CC5F58-5EB8-4E2D-88F0-FA2F740062E0.html

And I can gurantee none of them handle an upstream switch failure.

-robin.

Thanks for that Robin,  and I'm currently looking at the network design.

Can you confirm that LIF failover will only occure with a loss of link?

Steven

I believe this is what you looking for Scenarios that cause a LIF failover.

View solution in original post

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public