ONTAP Discussions

LIF Modify of Home Node/Port Disruptive or Cause Disconnect?

nzmarkc

Hello!

I have inherited a situation where the CIFs & NFS LIFs from a retiring node in a switched cluster have been migrated (during an outage window because of the disconnect/reconnect issue), but are still showing as not home (i.e. the new node is curr-node, but not home-node).

Does modifying the LIF property and making the new node the home-node of the LIF cause _any_ disruption or temporary disconnects?

Thank you in advance.

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

paul_stejskal

Oh gotcha. No that is just a configuration setting. You can set it and it will not cause problems.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

SpindleNinja

so the LIFs settings are correct as far as home node and port,  but they're not home and you want to send them home? 

net int revert  or "send home"  (I think that's how the gui says it..)      

CIFS will warn of a disruption, cause that's the nature of CIFS,  if you want to be safe, do it after hours.  

paul_stejskal

There is a very slight interruption which will cause slight delay of possibly lost TCP packets or redirected TCP packets (maybe at most half a second?) for all TCP traffic when moving LIF. CIFS/SMB1 aren't as resilient but SMB2+ have gotten a lot better about the interruption of the stateful protocol.

nzmarkc

I probably wasn't clear enough in my original post, so here are some details:

• LIFs have been migrated
  • I do not want to revert them as the original node is being retired
  • The new node is curr-node, but not home-node
  • I want the new node to be the home-node

So what I'm asking is:

• Will setting the home node on a LIF that has been migrated cause any CIFs or NFSs disconnect or interruption?

Thanks again.

paul_stejskal

Oh gotcha. No that is just a configuration setting. You can set it and it will not cause problems.

Public