ONTAP Discussions

Linux RH 7 and NetApp volumes

TimJMcCuen

My customer has a server running RH 7.      I presented a 100 TB to this server.  The server has only wrote data to 30 TB of this 100 TB.   My customer said I could take back 50 TB of the volume which would leave him with 50 TB (30 TB used).  I know I can do this from the NetApp but what pre-cautious if any does the customer need to take?  such as maybe unmount the volume first or can this be done online?

Second question nothing to do with the first question.  I am showing one of his servers as connected to a NetApp volume by running "nfs connected-clients show".    He is  saying this second volume (RH7 server)  is not mounted( not in fstab) .   Is it ok to just delete the export and unmount from the NetApp side or could that cause his server to panic and reboot or something.   Thanks.   Just not trying to cause an outage.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Abeltran

Hello Tim,

About the first question, if the volume is NFS o CIFS (NAS), you can modify the size online with no impact on the RH 7.

About de second question, with the command "nfs connected-clients show" you can see which client and which volume is mounting. If the export is not in the fstab on the client, i should do a "df -h" or "mount -l" to be sure the volume is not mounted manually.  If is all ok, you can unmount from NetApp. A good practice is go offline the volume and see if is all ok, and later delete it (be sure you have a backup if you needed).

Kind regards,

Albert

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Abeltran

Hello Tim,

About the first question, if the volume is NFS o CIFS (NAS), you can modify the size online with no impact on the RH 7.

About de second question, with the command "nfs connected-clients show" you can see which client and which volume is mounting. If the export is not in the fstab on the client, i should do a "df -h" or "mount -l" to be sure the volume is not mounted manually.  If is all ok, you can unmount from NetApp. A good practice is go offline the volume and see if is all ok, and later delete it (be sure you have a backup if you needed).

Kind regards,

Albert

TimJMcCuen

Thank you

Public