The transition to NetApp MS Azure AD B2C is complete. If you missed the pre-registration, you will be invited to register at next log in.
Please note that access to your NetApp data may take up to 1 hour.
To learn more, read the FAQ and watch the video.
Need assistance? Complete this form and select “Registration Issue” as the Feedback Category.

ONTAP Discussions

Long LIF Migration Delay Normal?

bsnyder27

When performing a takeover on a new FAS we are setting up, we neglected to manually migrate the cluster management LIF before performing the takeover. It migrated as it should have per the defined failover group settings, but it took over a minute.

Is this normal time for a LIF to migrate in such a scenario? I know typically you would migrate all LIFs away from the node being taken over, but it still seems a bit long for the link to come back up. 

2 REPLIES 2

GidonMarcus

Hi

I’m expecting a sec or two of ping loss. it worth testing also within the LIF subnet as the router might add a sec or two until it's invalidate an ARP record and identify&add the new one (can take even more based on some configuration on the router).

it for sure shouldn’t take a full minute..

Gidi

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

bsnyder27

Thanks for the reply.

I asked an engineer about this. Seems this is actually normal behavior for the cluster management lif. The cluster doesn't fail the lif over befoer the takeover occurs so the lif goes down until the takeover completes.

Though if it were any data lif in a takeover scenario...the data lif would be migrated in the process before the node is taken over.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public