ONTAP Discussions

Mapping/Unmapping LUNS on Windows Server

david_r_jacobs

I currently have a FAS3170 running Data ONTAP 8.0.5 7-Mode. A LUN from this filer is currently connected to a WIndows Server 2008 machine. I need to unmap the LUN from this server, and remap it to a different Windows Server 2012 R2. I am having difficulties trying to figure this out. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am still very new to this technology.

Thanks in advance...

4 REPLIES 4

SpindleNinja

does this 2012 host have existing luns from the 3170?    if not you will need to create igroups on the netapp with the servers iqn or wwns and configure MPIO and zoning if you're using FC.   

But the process would go something like this: 

1. Stop IO to the disk/lun that you are moving and offline the disk.     (or shut down the host and make sure nothing is set to use that disk)   

2. Unmap the lun from the current server's igroup  

3. Map the lun to the new server's igroup.   

4. Rescan HBAs on the new host.  You should see the disk pop up at this point.  

xandervanegmond

Most of these steps are best  performed from NetApp SnapDrive for Windows (downloadable under software on the NSS).

Only thing SDW does not do, is stop the IO from a possible application on the Windows2008 host (although it can initiate a quiesce through use of VSS).

Best way would be to stop your application (if applicable), use SDW to unmap the lun (it's called disconnect in SDW).

Then on the Windows2012 host (shouldn't  you be moving to Windows2016 at least by now?) run SDW to connect to the lun.

If there is no existing iSCSI/FCP connection, SDW will start a wizard for you to connect to the controller.

/Xander

david_r_jacobs

The Windows Server 2012 R2 machine does not have any LUNs mapped to it at all.

I was able to remove the LUN mapping from the old server without incident. However, after creating an iGroup for the new server and mapping the LUN, the drive never shows up within Windows no matter how long I wait. I don't know what else to try next, as this is getting to be extremely important and I can't get it to work.

Does the FC switch need to be rezoned with the new information?

@SpindleNinja wrote:

does this 2012 host have existing luns from the 3170?    if not you will need to create igroups on the netapp with the servers iqn or wwns and configure MPIO and zoning if you're using FC.   

But the process would go something like this: 

1. Stop IO to the disk/lun that you are moving and offline the disk.     (or shut down the host and make sure nothing is set to use that disk)   

2. Unmap the lun from the current server's igroup  

3. Map the lun to the new server's igroup.   

4. Rescan HBAs on the new host.  You should see the disk pop up at this point.  

SpindleNinja

Yes.  You need to update / add zones to the new server.  

Public