ONTAP Discussions

Migrate SVM from one cluster to another

san456

We need to migrate a SVM hosting CIFS/NFS share in a multiprotocol setup from one NetApp cluster to another cluster (newer hardware). I have used 7MTT in the past to perform 7-mode to cluster mode migrations. Similarly, is there a tool that NetApp offers to migrate SVM between cDOT's. Can use snapmirror to replicate volume, but looking for if there is a tool like 7MTT available that can migrate configuration (CIFS permissions, NFS exports, quota config, home directory config, etc) along with data and perform pre-cutover test prior to cutover
While looking came across SVM DR. Is that the only option we have with cDOT?
Please advice.

6 REPLIES 6

JGPSHNTAP

It would be easier if you plugged newer hardware into the switch, assuming it's not a switchless cluster and do vol moves, but if that's not the case, then svm-dr is the easiest thing for you

san456

they are two node switch less clusters.

GlennDekhayser

Have you looked at SVM DR?  Start here: https://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/topic/com.netapp.doc.pow-dap/GUID-B9E36563-1C7A-48F5-A9FF-1578B99AADA9.html

-Glenn Dekhayser

Red8, LLC

#NetappATeam

san456

I will look into SVM-DR. Hopefully it can replicate configurations and provide a way to perform pre-cutover test like in 7MTT.

not sure SVM DR is a use case for migration purposes.

JGPSHNTAP

100% svm-dr use case can be migration if you are switchless.. 

GlennDekhayser

I agree. I would think that any process that works for DR, which effectively migrates workloads from one cluster to another (and SVM DR optionally brings over all configuration and IP's with it) would be exactly what you're looking for. 

Public