ONTAP Discussions

Migrating data to a new cluster without snapmirror

remr1n

Hey all

was wondering if i could get any advice on what im trying to achieve.

We have 2 netapp netapp storage environment, each for diffrent purpose and each on a diffrent network segment etc, what im trying to say is all the seperate netapp storage is not related to one another.

i want to migrate or move a CIFS volume from NetApp A to NetApp B. NetApp B has snapmirror license but NetApp A does not. Also their both diffrence ONTAP version to one another, NetApp A is running ONTAP 9.3 and NetApp B is running ONTAP 9.9.1

these files in CIFS volume is frequently used by the user so either we would have to use snapmirror so the data gets synced every so often, or migrate and get our users to access the new volume but latter would take some effort and create confusion to the users.

is there a way to migrate the cifs from A to B, whilst also having some sort of sync element to it? without using snapmirror (since NetApp A does not have the license to use Snapmirror)

i know its a long shot but thought it was worth asking around here and see if i can get some sort of guidance from you guys.

thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Puru01

Try robocopy  for the CIFS migration and use the same spn name while you do cutover 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

paul_stejskal

So the two filers are on despondent networks with no connectivity at all? Can you not take the filers and move to the same spot?

Puru01

Try robocopy  for the CIFS migration and use the same spn name while you do cutover 

Public