ONTAP Discussions

Moving data to another volume non-distruptively

Limor

Hello all,

FAS 8200, Data Ontap 9.7 pxx.

The setup is: one svm acting as a cifs server in activedirectory. Many volumes and many qtrees in them. Because of backup considerations I try to keep the volumes on 10T and less. Some of the volumes are getting close to the limit and I was wondering whether I can migrate qtrees to a new volume in a non-distruptive way.

Thanks,

Limor

The Hebrew University of Jerusalem

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
4 REPLIES 4

Ontapforrum

How big are the qtrees you are planing to move. I can think of ndmpcopy but "how long" is something difficult to predict. NDU is not possible for CIFS wether it is qtree/volume due to it's nature (unless it is continues share). I am not sure if this idea will work - flexclone->delete rest except the qtree you need --> split it...dosen't sound good, splitting for a large volume is very slow, so I wouldn't go that route.

I guess, use ndmpcopy or another tool (host side) to copy the data across. With ndmpcopy, you can do base line and an increment, shutdown cifs, do another incremental. Re-create shares and restat cifs. Let's see what others suggests, I am sure there will be other ways that I am not aware of.

The largest is around 3T, the rest are 1T and less.

What is ndmpcopy? where do I find it?

Thanks, I'll try it.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public