ONTAP Discussions

Moving volume to another aggregate

RodeDraak

Hi All,

Is it possible to move a volume to another aggregate on the same shelf?

If so, could someone point me to a procedure on how to do this?

Richard.

10 REPLIES 10

chriskranz

Several different ways to do this...

NDMPCOPY - copy the entire volume from one location to another. Create the new volume first

vol copy - similar to NDMPCOPY, but the destination volume needs to be restricted

snapmirror - This is nice as you can setup a schedule and keep the updates going until you are ready to do the final copy. This can really minimize the downtime

host based - Use something like robocopy or rsync to copy the data from one volume to another

There are more ways, but the ones above are probably the most useful. If you have SnapMirror that's definitely my preference. If not, I tend to use ndmpcopy.

villarreale

I have used snapmirror with no issues. It makes it easy to do one last sync before you bring the 'new' volume online.

orfstntech

Hi

if source and destination aggregate are of same type (32bit or 64bit)

you can use the vol move command.

You have to stop any cifs shares and nfs exports befor starting.

use vol move soure_volume dest_aggregate

the advantage against methods like ndmpcopy or mirroring is, that the volume

keeps its quotas, snapmirror relationships and oher attributes.

regards

walter

DONELLEJOSEPH

is this command possible on ontap version 7.2.5.1?

scottgelb

Vol move isn't available in 7.x ontap

DONELLEJOSEPH

Thanks Scott. Hence, I should do the snapmirror.

scottgelb

You can also look at snapmirror migrate which handle nfs file handles. But doesn't update exports entries. We have used that for minimal disruption but goo to do with a test volume first.

arunchak

If the volume is a SAN volume. If you have LUNs mapped, vol move will migrate the volume non disruptively. i.e NDVM (Non Disruptive vol move). You can still keep IO's on the LUN while doing vol move.

-Arun

DONELLEJOSEPH

Hi Arun,

is the command available on previous versions of data ontap. let's say i have version 7.2.5.1. tnx.

clackamas

In 8.x you can use vol move, unless it is a snapmirror or snapvault target.  If they are SM or SV targets you have to use snapmirror and do a resync back to the source. 

If you are under 7.x snapmirror works well, its easier in my experience than NDMP copy, and snapmirror will preserve your snapshots and dedupe.

Public