ONTAP Discussions

NAS 6210 -- possible to destroy root Vol0 on 2nd controller and use those disks?

STEVEK123

Hi folks -- please excuse my extreme newbieish question, and I'm not even sure I'm asking this question in the right section.

Anyway, we have an IBM NAS6210 with two internal controllers, and 24 physical disk drives. I have configured each controller that that it's up on the management NIC, and I see that each controller has a root volume configured "Vol0", and "Aggr0" comprised of 3 disks.

Since this is a test system, and I'm not worried about HA, I'd just assume NOT use the 2nd controller, and instead delete that root volume group and free up those disks so I can use them in aggreate(s) I create and manage on the first controller. Is this possible? When I log into the 2nd controller, I don't even seem to be able to take this root volume offline, much less destroy it. Am I stuck with having to have to have a default root volume and aggregate on this second controller?

Thx!

1 REPLY 1

aborzenkov

Well, you are not stuck with default, you can change it to anything more suitable

This has been discussed multiple times. NetApp cannot boot and run without root volume. If you assign all disks to one controller, the second is not bootable. If it is OK to you, you are better off to disable cluster before reassigning disks. There is NetApp KB article how to do it; probably IBM has something as well.

Public