ONTAP Discussions

NTP not working ..

Foxtrot1986

I have DOT 8.1.4 running on my FAS. NTP was configured and working fine. but now its showing a time difference of about 295Secs.
how can i check the difference b/w filer and time server.

Why filer is not sync its time with NTP server. I can ping the NTP server plus there is no messages in /etc/messages regarding adjusting time ......

options timed are as under:-

timed.enable on

timed.log on

timed max_skew 30m

timed.min_skew 0

timed.proto ntp

timed.sched 1hr

timed.window 0s

Regards

5 REPLIES 5

rh
Hi I had a similar issue a month or so back where NTP and SNMP packets were, evidently, not reaching their destinations. The issue turned out to be a routing glitch where these packets were being sent to an unused network interface (ie one that was "up" but should have had no traffic on it). As soon as I removed that interface, the "stray" packets started being sent out of the correct interface and NTP was able to resync. When I was researching this, I found an earlier post from someone who'd run into the same issue and he solved it by repeating the "route add default ..." command (from the /etc/rc file). Good Luck! Richard.

HONIG2012

have you seen this bug?

http://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=459942

it's observed in 8.1.4 (without P1) and causes the filer to stop syncing with ntp - try update ontap - perhaps it helps

if not you can have a closer look to this KB-article, it helps you verify if ntp-sync works: https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1010058&locale=en_US

-AJ

Foxtrot1986

I can't open the above document 😞
how can i ??

plus ... in KB article i don't see any single entry in /etc/log/mlog/messages.log regarding ntp.. Does this mean that NTP is not working?

Thanks alot for ur reply.

HONIG2012

it just copy it here for you:

Bug ID

TitleData ONTAP fails to sync with remote NTP server after reboot
Duplicate of 
Bug Severity2 - System barely usable
Bug StatusFixed
ProductData ONTAP
Bug TypeKernel/Op Sys 
Description
Formatted
 In some situations Data ONTAP's NTP service will fail to initialize properly
 on system boot.  As a result the system will not maintain time with remote peers
 and over time the system time will diverge.
Workaround
Formatted
 To workaround the issue add the following entries to the /etc/rc file:
 options timed.enable off
 options timed.enable on

This workaround will force the NTP service to initialize again later in the boot
 process.

Notes
Formatted
 Additional NTP troubleshooting steps are in a knowledge base article:
 https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1010058

Fixed-In VersionA complete list of releases where this bug is fixed is available here.

as far as i know you want find any log-entry within messages or mlog regarding ntp sync - you have to follow the procedures explained in the KB-article

YIshikawa
Complete list officer version for Bug ID 459942 shows 8.1.4 GA.
By the way, how ntpdc -* in WEEKLY_LOG ASUP shows?
Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public