S-Sahu

::system controller flash-cache*> system node external-cache show -node 

Node: **********

Is Enabled: true

Is rewarm on: true

Is Mbuf inserts on: true

PCS size: 1024

Is hya caching enabled: true

The units in location A have a flashpool configured for specific aggregates, however the location B system currently does not have any Flashpools configured, so I strongly suspect that running in “Hybrid-Mode” is not the issue.  

Looking at the hit-metrics, we’re not getting much value out of our FlashPools either, which I find hugely surprising, as our working set should comfortable fit into these, and our read times  be massively accelerated by them – I can see that we’re getting really good hit rates (>75%) on our onboard cache – but that we’re still reaching all the way back to disk regularly.  Is there some configuration option I have missed that will help us to shape read caching more optimally?  Please see here:

Our write speeds are lovely

the ONTAP GUI interface repeatedly informs me that FlashCache is disabled – I can press the “enable” button, and see the optimization graph running, but if I browse away from the page and back it shows as “Disabled” again: is there a bug?

it says it’s “caching metadata only” (right underneath the unpleasantly high latency number) when enabled and disabled, which would seem a poor use for it given our entirely virtualised environment – but I don’t know how to change this to Default Mode (or even Low-Priority, although this is probably less suitable for our active data set).

1 REPLY 1

stemmer

We have the same problems at 2 customer sites:

Site 1:

FAS 8200 local cluster (Ontap 9.1) with 1 TB Flashcache per Head

GUI status of Flashcache is not correct. 

Try using a local admin user (non Active-Directory User) for login in system manager

This is a bug in Ontap 9.1

Hit rates are below 5%

Site 2:

FAS 8200 fabric metro cluster (Ontap 9.1P8) with 2 TB  Flashcache per Head

Hit rates of Flashcache are below 5%

Hit rates of memory are good

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public