ONTAP Discussions

NetApp Ontap deduplication

Jinu

How do we compared the NetApp ontap deduplication feature with other storage vendor.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

EWILTS_SAS

I've had this discussion with my vendors and the short answer is "you don't".   De-duplication technologies are fairly well understood and even if NetApp comes out ahead in this release, other vendors will likely catch up and may jump ahead (as 1 vendor has already claimed).  Then NetApp will leapfrog them. Unless you're comparing to Isilon in which case you can assume that Isilon will never catch up 🙂

When I presented this to multiple vendors, none of them complained and all said it was fair.

Simply assume that all are equal.  NetApp should still win on other merits (and I've never worked for NetApp or any NetApp partner).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

psu
NetApp

Realistically, you would need to run a test like in the KB below to get an accurate assessment of how much space you are saving with NetApp deduplication vs another storage vendor. So you would need to run the test on the FAS system and run it on the different storage vendor array you have. Afterwards compare. 

https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Software/ONTAP_OS/How_to_determine_sparseness_or_deduplication_ratio_of_a_file

GNancy

Additionally this might be helpful as well. 

https://www.netapp.com/media/19753-tr-3966.pdf 

Team NetApp

gmarkov1

This doc too old. February 2014 | TR-3966. 

I didn't find newer (

paul_stejskal

Also we have some of the leading storage efficiency technology - which is one of our major selling points especially with AFF.

EWILTS_SAS

I've had this discussion with my vendors and the short answer is "you don't".   De-duplication technologies are fairly well understood and even if NetApp comes out ahead in this release, other vendors will likely catch up and may jump ahead (as 1 vendor has already claimed).  Then NetApp will leapfrog them. Unless you're comparing to Isilon in which case you can assume that Isilon will never catch up 🙂

When I presented this to multiple vendors, none of them complained and all said it was fair.

Simply assume that all are equal.  NetApp should still win on other merits (and I've never worked for NetApp or any NetApp partner).

Public