ONTAP Discussions

NetApp Usable Space Calculator

MPERIYAK

A very basic version of NetApp Usable Space Calculator. Please provide feedback.

March 18, 2014 - Latest version 2.1 - Minor updates to include some new disks and a few disk calculation bugs

Sep 5, 2013 Update: Software Version 2.1. Minor updates - Added 2 new disk sizes ( 1.2 TB SAS & 4 TB SATA )

Aug 8, 2013 Update: I have updated the software version to 2.0 and fixed some bugs.

Also this includes a new feature called Raid Group Size Estimator where you key in disks values, raid type and disk type - the software will attempt to provide the best RG size values either based on NetApp recommendations or Optimal Capacity.(Please note: The Raid group size input in the calculator is only for disk space calculations and this is ignored for the raid group estimator)

I have developed this Raid Group Size Estimator based on many users request. As usual please provide feedback if you do some testing.

Screenshot of new version 2.1 (Software zip attached to this post)

(The below image is a old version. New version available which is 2.1)

50 REPLIES 50

lmunro_hug

Nice work,

Maybe you could also include a visual RG layout + RG disk deficiencies if any. Administrators can tweak the values to get the best results without breaking out the spreadsheets.

Maybe also have the max aggregate sizes per controller model + Ontap version (selections) with an indication if you are over this value.

Can you provide the exact maths behind the workings?

Luke

MPERIYAK

Hello..Thanks for the feedback..I will try to do some work based on your feedback when I get some time. For the math and the formulas behind the tool, here is the link - http://practicalnetapp.blogspot.com/2012/08/netapp-usable-space-calculator.html

Murugappan

angelshark

Nice work, thanks!

cjeff

Will this tool consider one or two controllers? How about the max/default RAID size for different type disk?

I could not attach a file, so I send the tool I written to your gmail.

MPERIYAK

There is no assumption on the controllers. Just plain disk calculations. Also for the max/default RAID size, I assume the user using this tool has some idea of the RAID sizes beforehand and will key it in.

CCOLEMAN_

nice work! thanks for taking the time to do this!

RBROWN6363

Great tool, thanks! Just used it to help management working out a quote for a customer.

MPERIYAK

Thanks. Appreciate the feedback. I just updated the post with a new version which includes the option for 900GB SAS disks.

markus_wewerinck

Nice, thank you for this great tool!

pascalduk

Nice tool for those that don't know the math. Some feedback:

* Choice to display capacity in either GB or TB.

* Choosing ONTAP version, because there can be differences in what is allowed or default values. E.g. max raid group sizes are different between ONTAP versions and volume reserve space default space.

* Choice for syncmirror or not.

* Show the actual RAID groups since the RAID group size you choose can have some weird results.

What would make this tool really great is suggesting optimal RAID group sizes for a given number of disks and according to NetApp recommendations. My storage admins seem to struggle the most with deciding on how to do it.

MPERIYAK

Thanks for the feedback. Working on a new version soon.

MPERIYAK

Aug 8, 2013 Update - New version 2.0 is available. Please check original post.

I have uploaded the zip of the new version 1.2 to my original post.  Please provide feedback.

Updates in this version are

- Choice of display the output in TB/GB

- Included more different capacity disks and disk types

- Informational message for recommended values of Raid Group Sizes

kensumrall

This is a great idea.  Thank you for taking the time to create this tool and to share it with us. 

I have a question though about how the tool uses the various values I input to calculate Usable Capacity.  For example, with the following values:

• Total Disks = 12
  • Disk Size/Type = 900GB SAS
  • Spare Disks = 0
  • Disks Allocated for Root Volume = 0
  • Volume reserve = 20%
  • Aggregate Reserve = 5%
  • Raid Group Type = Raid-DP
  • WAFL Reserve = 10%

Why do Raid Group sizes of 5, 6, 7, and 8 all give a usable capacity of 4494.70 GB and all Raid Group sizes greater than 8 yield a usable capacity of 5618.38 GB? 

In other words, what factor is raid group size playing in the usable capacity calculation? 

Thanks!

MPERIYAK

Hello kensumrall

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I do see an issue. Thanks for testing and finding a bug. I will correct it in a day or two and post the new version.

Murugappan

kensumrall

Thank you so much!  I also was a bit confused about the following as well:  

Say I have 12 total disks, 0 disks allocated for a root volume, 0 allocated as Spare Disks, and have a raid-dp group size of 6.

I noticed that Usable Capacity was decreased if I added disks to the Disks Allocated For Root Volume field even though I have plenty of disks left from the total of 12 to not take away from the Raid Group size of 6.

The same is true if I increase the number of spare disks.  Each additional spare disk takes away from Usable Capacity even if there are plenty of available disks with a Raid Group size of 6.

I understand on the one hand that the tool just does plain disk calculations, but on the other hand it leaves me wondering what the Raid Group Size is used for then.  (Or maybe a better way to put it is, how should I properly use the Raid Group Size value in the way you intended.)

Thanks again for such a great tool. 

MPERIYAK

Hello kensurmrall

Download the latest version which is 2.0 and let me know the feedback. I fixed some bugs and included a new feature called Raid Group Size Estimator for a given set of disk inputs, Raid Type and Disk Type.

SUPERPIXEL

Hello,

very good , i just downloaded version 2.0 , but i dont see never drives 1.2TB and 4TB .

http://www.netapp.com/us/products/storage-systems/fas2200/fas2200-tech-specs.aspx

Thanks

MPERIYAK

Hello - I just updated this version to 2.1 which includes the 1.2 TB and 4 TB drives. Check it out.

kartaip01

hello,

I can not run this, virus scanner (F-Secure) complains that

it contains Trojan?

Unfortunately the message is not more specific

/kari

MPERIYAK

Hello

I have had many users used and this is the first complaint about a virus message on the executable. Not sure. Sorry it is not working for you.

Public