ONTAP Discussions

NetApp Volume Encryption (NVE) - Is there a log showing when a volume was encrypted?

Benjamin_P

Is there a log showing when volumes become encrypted?  The "volume encryption conversion show" command only shows the status DURING conversion, but I'd like to know how long the conversion took once completed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

paul_stejskal

You might have to pull up the AutoSupport in aiq.netapp.com (search for your serial #/hostname). Then click AutoSupport (a little gear on the left), then find the MANAGEMENT_LOG ASUP. In there is an EMS log file. It is the raw file, so it looks like an XML file. However you will see the encrypt event.

If you want to post your serial # or PM me and the volume name, I can probably help you find it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

darb0505

Hi Benjamin,

You should be able to see the conversion start and end time in the EMS log (event log).  Look for encryption in the event log and should see a start and finish message.

For additional information you can reference: FAQ: NetApp Volume Encryption and NetApp Aggregate Encryption

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks

Team NetApp

Benjamin_P

One specific volume encryption was started on 12/23 and I want to know when it completed, but I'm only showing two days worth of logs.  I also checked job history in System Manager, but nothing comes up when I check for *encrypt* or *Encrypt*

paul_stejskal

You might have to pull up the AutoSupport in aiq.netapp.com (search for your serial #/hostname). Then click AutoSupport (a little gear on the left), then find the MANAGEMENT_LOG ASUP. In there is an EMS log file. It is the raw file, so it looks like an XML file. However you will see the encrypt event.

If you want to post your serial # or PM me and the volume name, I can probably help you find it.

Public