ONTAP Discussions

Netapp Data migration Old to new

siemensocs

Hello Community,

we have been using FAS2040 (NetApp Release 8.1.4P7 7-Mode) since few years now and been happy with it.
Because of space contraints and upgrade reason, have decided to purchase FAS2720 Filer. The question is what is the standard method for data migration from Old to new Filer?
Our existing Netapp has dual controller and has around 15 TB Data which is mounted via NFS on client side. It does also have some shares used as Datastores for Virtual machines.
So some virtual machines are running purely on Netapp share. We do not have LUNs. What we have instead only Disk Groups, Volumes and Qtrees.  Does data migration work at Volume level or Qtree level?   We would like to retain the structure of the old Netapp onto new Netapp. So we do not mind 1:1 transition during data migration. I would like to ask the community what is the best method for the data migration to be used? Perhaps without additional cost. How much time does it  require for 15 TB Data to be fully transferred? Accordingly we have to plan the shutdown of the hosts as well.
I am completely new when it comes to Data migration between netapp. Please suggest me pointers for this. Also suggest if any other valid points to consider during new netapp installation and data migration.

Thanking you in advance.

Regards,

Admin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SpindleNinja

It's part of the vCenter package with the licensing I believe..

You can probably still power off the VM and move it to the new storage.    I don't believe that requires, just the ONLINE moving of VMs. 

verify with VMware to make sure you have all your keys installed though. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

SpindleNinja

The 7MTT copy based is probably your best bet. 

https://www.netapp.com/support-and-training/documentation/7-mode-transition-tool/ 

siemensocs

Thank you for the reply. I will certainly check that out.

I read, following are the tools as well.   Front end file copy tools: XCP NFS, XCP CIFS.

Some as well recommended Rsync.  Does Rsync work on Ontap?

SpindleNinja

The 7MTT will use snapmirror to migrate the data over,  usually the preferred if you can.   

rsync will work for pretty much anything NFS.    As long as the host can mount/r/w  the shares, you can copy it over.  

NetApp has XCP which will support NFS and SMB/CIFS.  https://xcp.netapp.com/

siemensocs

Correct. These are recommended tools. Are they free or require special licenses?

SpindleNinja

XCP free to use for netapp customers.   does require you to request a licenses.  it's laid out at xcp.netapp.com 

7MTT is free to use, I don't believe is requires a license though.  I believe it does require snapmirror on the systems to be licensed though. 

rsync is opensource. 

siemensocs

Ok thank you. I would check that.

As said, we have mostly all Data stored on shares and accessed by NFS.

And few VMs which are stored on Datastores residing on Netapp Filer.

SpindleNinja

got ya .  VMs you can just use something like Storage vMotion to move them over to new datastores.  

EWILTS_SAS

For your datastores, the easiest method is to create new ones on the new filter and then storage vmotion the VMs.

siemensocs

Is Vmotion free to use? For some reason we do not have VCenter license.  😞

SpindleNinja

It's part of the vCenter package with the licensing I believe..

You can probably still power off the VM and move it to the new storage.    I don't believe that requires, just the ONLINE moving of VMs. 

verify with VMware to make sure you have all your keys installed though. 

siemensocs

Correct and thats what I plan to do. Shutdown VMs and copy over all the datastores (mounted via NFS onto ESXi )onto new Netapp and then power on VMs. Lets see if it works.

Public